Wave Mobile Money
The problem: In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That’s for good reason — the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and most merchants only accept cash. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
How we’re solving it: We’re building financial services to work as they should: no account fees, instantly available and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always function, we’re creating financial infrastructure that “just works.” In fall 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. We’ve recently expanded to Cote d’Ivoire and are adding more countries this year. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. That’s where you come in…
How you’ll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Risk Country Lead who’s resourceful, organized and proactive about getting things done. You’ll be responsible to help protect the interests of Wave mobile money customers, agents and the business, to deploy and manage a risk management system and offer optimized processing solutions to inform management in their strategic decisions.
In this role, you’ll:
- Develop and manage Wave’s risk management framework including risk strategy, policy and operating procedures
- Identify and evaluate risks (activities, processes, information systems, production tools, external events, etc.)
- Establish preventive and detective controls to monitor risk in line with management’s appetite measured for risk
- Define internal mechanisms to report, investigate, escalate issues and take action upon detection of risk
- Develop a clear reporting and communication channels between stakeholders on risk topics
- Disseminate a risk culture
- Advising or training staff at all levels on core and on-going risk management issues (e.g. anti-fraud practices, the identification of ‘red flags’ and the importance of customer / supplier due diligence).
- Ensure business intelligence to anticipate changes in risk trends and their effects on the organization
- Provide guidance and recommendations on risk mitigation of potential issues and business continuity advice
- Other duties may be assigned as the business may require.
The position will report to the HQ Head Legal & Risk.
- Location: You’ll work from our office in Abidjan, with occasional travel to field locations in Côte d’Ivoire.
- This is a permanent position.
- ECOWAS work authorization strongly preferred
- Minimum of 8 years experience in risk management or related area.
- Good knowledge of regulatory requirements and the market practices.
- A secondary degree in Finance, Accounting, Risk Management, Business & Economics, or comparable field.
- Proficiency in spoken and written French and English.
You might be a good fit if you
- Have good analytical, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Are self-motivated and able to work under pressure.
- Have strong computer applications skills.
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of over-communication.
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Have built and led strong teams in achieving key results.
- Are willing to go the distance to get something done
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.