African Development Bank Group
Under the supervision of the AHWS Director, the Sector Manager, West, Central and North serves as the leader of the Division in these regions and empowers the division’s staff in the regions and at headquarters to accomplish their objectives by directing and delegating duties and tasks while supporting, mentoring and engaging with them to deliver the agreed regional work programs.
The Sector Manager, will perform the following:
Leadership and Management of the Division:
- Lead, supervise and carry out the strategic direction of the AHWS.3 Division, Provide with necessary support for the Bank’s Water sector strategy implementation and Delivery of the water related components of the Bank’s Operational priority 5 “Improve the quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- Lead and manage the Water sector team in the assigned regions and ensure the team remains high-performing, well-motivated and committed to the successful achievement of the objectives of the Division and that of the Water Department.
- Lead the strategic staffing of the Water sector team in the regions under supervision, determines and manages the human and financial resource requirements of the Division; provides management support to the staff and facilitates their full performance in technical work; identifies the staff’s needs of training and discuss/implement career development needs; is responsible for their performance evaluations and resolves staff disputes/complaints.
- Prepare and lead the implementation of the work program of the Division, determining priorities and allocating resources for the timely delivery of high quality outputs; foster teamwork and communication among staff in the Division and across organizational boundaries; manage the activities undertaken; and, ensure that the KPIs set for the Division are met in due course.
- Oversee programmatic/administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Division, including preparation of budgets, and reporting on performance;
- Participate in and/or chairs meetings for the Division, the Department, Technical Quality Assurance Committees (TQAC), Water Coordination Committee, donor and partner meetings related to the water initiatives, sanitation initiatives and trust funds under AHWS, as well as other meetings related to the work of the Division.
- Lead technical dialogue in Water and Sanitation sector development, reforms and restructuring, and Control the professional quality of the documents produced by the staff of the Division.
- Foster an environment that stimulates and rewards innovation, creativity and accountability for results, and motivate staff to contribute to delivering significant developmental impact for Africa’s growth.
- Cultivate and ensure a culture of “ONE-Bank” in the entire Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex, other Sector Complexes and Regional Directorates with the highest levels of ethics, fiduciary responsibility and professionalism to protect and enhance the reputation of the Bank.
- Build strong and strategic relationships with private sector developers and financiers, regional economic communities (RECs), river basin organizations (RBOs), Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), United Nations (UN) organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners and Government officials to share information and experiences to develop impactive (socially & economically) investment opportunities and to ramp up co-financing and loan syndications to realize projects.
Water Sector and Sanitation Policy and Strategy Development:
- Provide expertise and leadership in the development and review of Bank Group’s policies, rules, regulations, norms and standards especially related to water security and sanitation; and ensure their implementation in the Division.
- Advise on and promote the implementation of relevant sector policies and strategies within the Bank.
Business Development and Management:
- Under the guidance of the Director, AHWS, and in collaboration with the concerned Regional Director Generals, spearhead national and regional business development and investment programs, and drive resource mobilization across the countries to grow and diversify the portfolio of the Bank.
- Manage the delivery of the lending and non-lending programs for member countries in the Regional Business Delivery Units of intervention in accordance with Bank policies and procedures.
- Advance regional integration through the development of, and contribution towards the execution of major regional transformative development projects to attain the Bank’s High 5s: Namely, ‘Light up & Power Africa’, ‘Feed Africa’, ‘Integrate Africa’, ‘Industrialize Africa’ and ‘Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa’.
- Ensure demonstrable impacts are made as per the objectives of the Bank ‘Strategy to Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa’, the ‘Gender Strategy’ and the ‘Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy’ among others.
- Pipeline Development: In collaboration with local, national and sub-regional institutions, build and maintain a diversified pipeline and lending program of investments (SO and NSO) in the water sector across the regions to meet the Bank’s profitability targets while delivering transformative impacts throughout the water security components.
- Identification of Opportunities: Identify and secure project/program co-financing opportunities and collaboration activities with other Development Partners including in the financing of innovative Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) Water infrastructure projects.
Sector Knowledge Development and Uptake and Sector Networking:
- Advise the Director on issues related to water security and sanitation and defends before the Board papers originating from the Department.
- Develop and maintain cooperation and co-financing relations with the other development agencies and organizations; may lead important and sensitive missions to the member countries and partner organizations and agencies; may represent the Bank Group in major international conferences and meetings especially on water, human and social development.
- Provide technical support and expertise to the Water Coordination Committee to help maximize the contribution of Bank’s water-related operations aimed at promoting multi-purpose water resources development, developing and implementing quality complex water infrastructure interventions, mainstreaming integrated water resources management (IWRM) principles, and scaling up sustainable and affordable access to water supply and sanitation services.
- Contribute, in support of AHWS.1, AHWS.2 and Africa Water Facility (AWF), to forging strong strategic partnerships with multilateral and bilateral organizations and regional organizations to leverage resources and support business development in regional Business Delivery Units in the area of water security and sanitation.
- Foster coherence of the Bank’s action in water security and sanitation across regions and promote collaboration.
- In tandem with AHWS.1 and AHWS.2, contribute to innovative financing mechanisms knowledge and recommendations implementation, and technical management approaches to promote access to water security and sanitation across regional member countries. This will also entail promotion of private sector participation and improvement of the overall sector governance.
- Has extensive comprehensive understanding to lead the design and execution of major policy and/or research or contributes to Economic and Sector Works to inform and improve the design of new operations for greater impacts;
- Has extensive comprehensive understanding to organizes and/or represent the Bank at high level strategic regional and international discussions on partnership on water security and sanitation.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- At least a Masters’ degree or its equivalent in either Water Resource Engineering, Water and Sanitation Engineering, Economics, Institutional Development, Environmental Engineering, Social Sciences, Financial Analysis, Geo-science or any other relevant field with a focus on water development and climate change. Must hold qualification or certification in project management, water finance, water utilities management or governance, public private partnerships or closely related disciplines with a good knowledge or working experience of water related sector such as agriculture, power, urban planning etc.;
- At least eight (8) years of extensive and progressive experience in an internationally recognized financial or development Institution. Four (4) years of managerial level experience with some experience in Private sector participation in the water sector will be an advantage;
- Broad experience in water and sanitation sector development and policy support in developing countries including in Africa;
- Strong familiarity with the work of other multilateral and bilateral development institutions is preferred;
- Recognized sector expert with deep knowledge of integrated water resources development and Water sector finance issues in Africa, with a successful track-record in working with development finance Institutions, and a focus on research and policy related to water and sanitation;
- Demonstrated extensive experience in delivering high quality operational products and non-lending services (analytical work, advisory service, research advice, sector studies), in management of a portfolio of Water investment projects, portfolio optimization and risk evaluation, project restructuring, and water sector reform in response to changing business environments;
- Demonstrated extensive understanding of sovereign and non-sovereign project cycles and financing structures, including alignment with project identification, development, design, due diligence, risk assessment / allocation and implementation / management strategy (including procurement strategy, communication strategy, knowledge management, capacity building, and other critical success factors).