The One Campaign
ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality.
Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s supporters are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Nigeria Director will lead ONE’s advocacy strategy and campaigning work in Nigeria. This role is crucial in maintaining interactions with individuals and organizations operating within government, civil society, the private sector, and the media. The Director will develop and deliver global, Pan Africa and national campaigns, activate ONE supporters, and engage with politicians and senior government officials, civil society and private sector leaders, as well as media organizations. The Director reports to the ONE in Africa Executive Director and serves on the Africa Leadership Team while contributing to organizational development activities globally.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
The Director will have three key roles within the organization: Nigeria Director, country team leader, and member of the Africa Leadership Team (ALT). The successful Director will be able to juggle and prioritize these three roles, giving equal attention to strategy and policy work within (Africa), management and leadership of their office and team and a leadership role on the ALT.
The key responsibilities of the Nigeria Country Director fall into five main areas, each requiring equal attention, collaboration and coordination.
Policy and Advocacy
- Direct the development and implementation of building out ONE in Africa and ONE’s Global advocacy and campaigning work in Nigeria, ensuring collaboration with the Africa Executive Director, the Africa team, and other colleagues across the organization.
- Under the supervision of the Africa Executive Director, work collaboratively with other Africa market Directors to co-create a portfolio of relevant policy research and positions to support African Advocacy objectives and add African context to the global organization voice
- Demonstrate commitment to ONE’s policy priorities and a clear understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning, and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective advocacy
- Exhibit excellent influencing and lobbying skills to identify and maximize opportunities for policy change, policy implementation, monitoring and citizen’s engagement (campaigning opportunities) in support of the priority areas outlined in the Building Out ONE in Africa policy agenda
Relationship Development and Management
- Work effectively and sensitively with a wide range of partners; exhibiting superb networking skills by establishing strong partnerships across organizations and influencing partners to achieve optimal outcomes
- Maintain close links with other development lobbyists in Senegal, Mali and other African countries – including campaigners and political advisors working in think tanks, NGOs, trade unions, faith communities, political parties and the private sector; ensuring their activities shape and inform ONE’s political strategy
- Engage the Nigerian Policy Makers, CSO and expert leadership in effective dialogue to ensure their input into the development of ONE’s key policy, campaigning and advocacy areas; securing access for ONE to high-level strategic meetings, conferences, and events
- Continue the development and maintenance of strong relationships with senior government officials and politicians
- Work closely with other ONE in Africa Country Directors to deliver an effective component to the Africa-wide advocacy and campaigning efforts
- Build and diversify our external network of local contacts among NGOs, corporate sector, academics, influencers and the media who are supportive of ONE’s mission. Reach out in a relevant way and seek external advice as well as mentorship opportunities.
Campaigning and Mobilizing
- Coordinate the campaign agenda for Nigeria and develop key performance indicators for specific campaign goals
- In partnership with Global and African campaign leads, ensure sustained growth of ONE supporters and activists
- Exhibit a strong understanding of project management; implementing projects collaboratively with the ALT and across the organization to develop and deliver global and national campaigns and activate ONE supporters
- Lead and coordinate resources effectively for cohesive and effective campaigns in Africa and across ONE
Communication and Brand Management
- Work closely with communications, campaigns and marketing staff across the organization to maximize ONE’s campaign assets
- Seek media coverage, develop ONE’s brand, and increase the quality and quantity ONE’s support in Nigeria
- In collaboration with the ALT, lead the Nigeria team; ensuring that the team members understand their roles and responsibilities, and that a management system of accountability and transparency is in practice
- With guidance from the Senior Operations and Management Director, lead the process and hold ultimate market responsibility for operational planning and budgeting for Nigeria activities.
- Ensure budget and activities are in line with ONE in Africa planning and budgeting guidance, including program and budget monitoring and reporting on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis, and when necessary on an ad-hoc basis
- Collaborate with the Senior Operations and Management Director and ALT to contribute to the overall development, tracking and management of the regional and organizational budgets
- Lead the performance of staff to include mentorship and professional development
- Lead the Nigeria team to success and connect them to the global organization by openly communicating and recapping mission priorities
WHAT YOU BRING TO ONE
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred with 10+ years dynamic experience in policy and advocacy work
- Minimum of three (3) years management and team leadership experience
- Experience designing and implementing effective lobbying strategies to achieve policy change
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively with a wide range of partners; highly proficient at establishing strong partnerships across organizations and influencing stakeholders to achieve optimal outcomes
- Extensive high-level contacts among key African leaders and/or their advisors, with a particular focus on Nigeria
- A global outlook with a clear understanding of the varied mechanisms of Western and African political landscapes
- Outstanding analytical, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a constantly evolving environment
- Ability to apply good judgment consistently and make good and responsible decisions
- Experience managing people and directing team performance for maximum success. Skilled listener and problem solver when guiding performance, growth and professional development of staff
- Strong financial management skills, to include budget creation, monitoring and maintenance and a demonstrated understanding of the link and collaboration needed for strategic management of local, regional, global and organization-wide budgets
- Proven interpersonal skills and a strong sense of teamwork and collaboration
- Most importantly, a deep commitment to ONE’s mission
Fluency in English required. Proficiency in other Nigerian languages highly preferred
Travel up to 25% domestic and abroad
Remote work environment at the time of hire. In-office work options available and standard office work environment in the future when appropriate to facilitate
Are you ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease? Please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.