Africa Tech Now: The Consumer Electronics Show Launches First Africa Dedicated Event.
The Consumer Electronics Show, the world’s largest tech exhibition with an expected 170,000 visitors, has unveiled Africa Tech Now – a dedicated show, aiming to showcase the African tech landscape, and position Africa as a major influencer in digital transformation.
Held annually in Las Vegas, CES bills itself as “the world’s gathering place for all those who thrive on the business of consumer technologies.”
With the first ever CES taking place in New York City in June 1967, the show has served as a launchpad for new innovations over a period of 50 years. Here are just a few of them:
- Videocassette Recorder (VCR), 1970
- Camcorder and Compact Disc Player, 1981
- Digital Versatile Disk (DVD), 1996
- High Definition Television (HDTV), 1998
- Microsoft Xbox and Plasma TV, 2001
- Tablets, Netbooks and Android Devices, 2010
- Connected TV, Smart Appliances, Android Honeycomb, Ford’s Electric Focus, Motorola Atrix, Microsoft Avatar Kinect, 2011
- Ultra HDTV, Flexible OLED, Driverless Car Technology, 2013
- 3D Printers, Sensor Technology, Curved UHD, Wearable Technologies, 2014
4K UHD, Virtual Reality, Unmanned Systems, 2015
Donald Lawson appointed Afrinvest Ag. Chairman
Investment banking firm, Afrinvest, recently announced the appointment of Donald Lawson as Acting Chairman of its Board of Directors.
Lawson, an Economics and MBA graduate of the University of Ibadan, served as a Non-Executive Director at Afrinvest prior to the recent appointment.
His new remit will see him lead the Afrinvest board in establishing the company’s strategic goals and evaluating overall business performance.
Part of the team that started Water Resources Engineering and Management Ltd, the seasoned economist and management expert held the role of Executive Director Finance & Administration for over a decade at the firm.
Ike Chioke, Afrinvest’s Group Managing Director, said: “Mr. Donald Lawson takes over as Acting Chairman of the Afrinvest Board pending ratification at the Board at its next meeting later this month following which he will become the substantive Chairman”.
The appointment follows Chairman, Dr. Fidelis Nde-Che’s decision to step into politics after more than four years on the Afrinvest’s Board.